Entry 13

Day 52 - Tuesday

It’s amazing how quickly the human mind can learn to cope. So many stories about how fragile the mind is, how susceptible to the impossible, always just teetering on the edge of madness, ready to plunge at the slightest provocation, but still it clings to reality.

It’s been over a week since my last encounter. I haven’t found any signs of his presence, I haven’t felt him watching my back all the time, and even that symbol in the parking lot at work is gone. I can sleep again, and the nightmares only wake me up a few times a night. I’m not sure why it’s stopped. Maybe even he takes holidays. Maybe he found someone else. Maybe he just got bored, found a new hobby. Maybe The Slender Man took up stamp collecting instead of people collecting.

Life has slowly reverted to normal. My coworkers have stopped giving me those strange looks, full of pity and worry and fear. They started smiling at me again. I started smiling back.

Alex still seems fine, and hasn’t given me any indication that she remembers anything about him, or that she’s being followed.

I started turning off some of the lights at night. Not all of them, of course, but a few: mostly the closet lights. I’m not afraid to go into the bathroom anymore. Not as afraid, in any case.

Okay, it doesn’t sound that much better, I guess. But I’m no longer afraid to blink, so I’m just going to chalk that one up as a win.

No comments:

Post a Comment