Entry 8

Day 27 - Saturday

Alex finally answered today. I’d been calling her every hour for the past several days, and just a few minutes ago I got off the phone with her.

Of course the first thing I asked her was if she was okay, and she acted like she had no idea what I was talking about. When I told her I had been trying to reach her since the other night when she disappeared, she spoke like she thought I was going crazy. She said she had gone to the coast for a vacation, that she had told me and everyone else about it weeks ago, and she had no idea what I was talking about, disappearing suddenly. Apparently, she left the party – alone – around midnight, had gone home, finished packing, and left early the next afternoon.

I didn’t know what to think. She said she was sure she had told me about her plans. I said she must have forgotten to, and that I must have had too much to drink at the party. We both knew that wasn’t like me at all, but she seemed to accept it. What else could I have said? That she actually came over to my house, my bedroom, that we had somehow been driven out by a malicious entity and for some reason she couldn’t remember it now?

What’s worse is, that the longer I steered the conversation toward her vacation to divert her suspicions, the more it seemed completely reasonable that her story was true. I knew it was wrong, I knew what had actually happened, but there was another part of me that seemed to remember talking to her about her vacation, leaving the party alone, and having a completely uneventful night.

I made up a story about seeing a news report about a tall, skinny man in a suit prowling areas near where she was, and to call me if she had any problems.

After we hung up, I looked for her camera. I couldn’t find it, or the memory card.






Updated:




Day 30 - Monday

I talked to my coworkers today. None of them were giving me those suspicious looks when I came in, and that made me feel sick. They all said the same thing: Alex had been planning this trip for weeks.

This is wrong. This is all wrong.

I’m afraid I don’t know what’s real anymore.

No comments:

Post a Comment